The Greater Shenandoah Historical Society is a non-profit, educational institution dedicated to the collection, preservation, presentation and interpretation of significant historical information and artifacts from the western half of Page County and eastern third of Fremont County, Iowa. The Greather Shenandoah Historical Society was established in 1971 and opened the Greater Shenandoah Historical Society Museum at 403 W. Sheridan in Shenandoah. The museum was moved to the current location in 2003.
The museum contains thousands of artifacts significant to Shenandoah and surrounding area's interesting and rich historical-past. Displays include tributes to the two Shenandoah radio stations which were among the first the nation and the history of the seed and nursery companies that earned Shenandoah the title "The Nursery Capital of the World".
Archeological Artifacts - Mammoth skull and tusks discovered on the Sterling McLaren property in 1990.
Manti Cabin - Authentic replica of an early cabin in the area. The wood is from a Manti barn. Furniture actually used by Manti residents about the 1860's & 1870's.
Radio displays - Displays of personalities, pictures and literature from the pioneer radio stations that brought national recognition to Shenandoah.
Local Musical Artists - Pictures and artifacts of local artists that have gone on to national fame to include the Everly Brothers, Blackwood Brothers, Bill Leacox (drummer for the band "America") and Al Sloey, singer and bass player for the Riders of Purple Sage band.
Military Display - Company E and Company C rosters, uniforms and equipment.
Country Store & House - Just as it would have appeared in the early 1900's.
Library artifacts - High school annuals, genealogy books, and various area history books.
"The Greater Shenandoah Historical Society is a non-profit, educational institution dedicated to the collection, preservation, presentation and interpretation of significant historical information and artifacts from the western half of Page County and the eastern third of Fremont county, Iowa."